PEPPER RECENTLY TOURED AUSTRALIA WITH UNWRITTEN LAW
THEIR ALBUM 'GIVEN'IT' IS AVAILABLE NOW ON 3WISE
'IN WITH THE OLD' OUT ON VOLCOM / BELOW PAR DISTRO
1. Name : Yesod Williams
2. Band : Pepper
3. Job In Band : Drummer
4. Website : www.pepperlive.com
5. Hometown : Kona, Hawaii
6. What's the story behind the name?
It's from a saturday night live episide from the early to mid 90's. It has adam sandler, Rob Schnieder, kevin nealon and kirstie alley. Funny Shit!!
7. How did the band come together?
We all went to high school together, and like I said it was a super small town, so we all knew eachother for a while before pepper. I was at a party and told Kaleo we should jam, that was basically it.
8. How long has the band been around?
9. Briefly describe your sound…
Rock Music intertwined with Reggae, in a nutshell.
10. A few influences…
the Police, Tool, Rage Against The Machine, Red Hot Chili Pepper's, Led Zeppelin, Barington Levy, Dennis Brown, Bad Religion, The Clash, UB40, 2pac just to name a few
11. What's your current release?
Tell us a little about it… It's is actually our first CD which was recently re-released with some bonus tracks. It's called Given'it. It was the first official LAW records (which is our record label) release. It's being released in OZ throough 3wise records. You can check out record label out on the net www.Law-Records.com
OFF THE STAGE
12. When did you decide you had to be a musician, and how did you go about it?
My Dad was in a semi succesful hair metal band in the early 80's Called the LAW, so I've always been around music.
13. What was your first band name and what style did you play?
My first couple bands didn't have a name, or I can't remember. But I was in a band with my dad when I was 11. Then the next one after that was called Lazy Green, it was a metal band.
14. Tell us three albums you couldn't live without in your collection…
2pac-All Eyes On Me,
Red Hot Chili Pepper-Blood Sugar Sex Magic,
Metallica-And Justice For all,
Sublime-40 OZ to freedom.
there's a lot more than that though.
15. Best piece of musical advice you've been given…
Crack the shit out of the cymbals. My mother always tells me that, it's funny.
16. Two groups/artists you'd love to take out on the road…
there's this hip hop artist on our label Splinta (www.splintamusic.com) we love having that guy out, and we would love on the other hand to the Red Hot Chili Peppers take us out on the road!!!
17. Favourite song of your group?
Right now, It'sa new one called Zicky's Song. It's a song about a childhood friend that passed.
18. The thing you most look forward to just before a tour is…
Playing Live in front of energetic peeps. It's the greatest feeling!!!!Beside Surfing.
19. The thing you least look forward to before a tour is…
Not sleeping in my own bed for months at a time.
20. When your not doing band related stuff, what are you usually found doing?
Surfing......But most our time is consumed touring.
ON THE STAGE / ROAD
21. What gear do you use?
I use Pork Pie drums and Ziljian Cymbals
22. Favourite place (city/town/country) you've played… and why?
Beside our Hometown, I'd say Santa Barbara, California sticks out in my mind as always being really good to us. If I had to pick one that is.
23. Favourite venue to perform at… and why?
The Santa Barbara Bowl, it's by far the coolest venue we've ever played.
24. Who hogs the stereo in the van the most?
Who ever is driving which is all of us.
25. Who in your group has the worst "bad habit" on tour, and what is it?
26. Most embarrassing moment on tour?
I didn't get let into Canada on the last North American tour and had to walk from the canadian border back into the U.S. Full Border Jumper style, through traffic, with my back pack on. Our tech filled in on drums.
27. Give us a good quick 'on the road' story, funny, embarrassing, memorable, whatever…
The First day of the last U.S tour, because it was the first time we had a tour bus, very memorable.
28. What's getting the most spins in your stereo right now?
there's this hasidic jewish reggae singer named Matisyahu from New York that I've been listening to a lot.
29. Tell us a band or artist everyone should check out and why…
Splinta from ARENA productions, Sick Island Flovoured Hip-Hop. www.splintamusic.com
30. A word of advice to those slugging it out in empty pubs on Tuesday nights…
Keep Doing It, and keep putting out music, a door will open.